To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee, One clover, and a bee, And revery.
The revery alone will do, If bees are few.
--Emily Dickinson

Thursday, March 15, 2012

A drawer full of treasure

In my bedroom I have a drawer filled with treasure. No thief would steal it of that I am sure. No one but my husband and I would even recognize it as having any value. My drawer is full of paper, outpourings of my children's love. There are pictures of princesses with long hair and beautiful gowns (named Rose and Emma of course) and paper books made in school dedicated to Mom and Dad. My favorite book is the "Diary of a Worm" book Rose made and dedicated to Jason, "because my Dad is as brave as worm." It brings a smile to my face every time I see it. She also said in her presidents book that I'd make a great president "because she is smart and brave and nice to her friends." (A budding genius.) Of course, Emma nominated her Dad as president "because he follows the law and he is honest."

There are apologies handwritten in an impish first-grade scrawl to make up for when they've misbehaved. There is Emma's request to wear my high-heeled red boots for Halloween which she wrote in January. (I bet it won't be the last time she'll want borrow something of mine.) And then there are the notes that simply say, "I love you Mom" drawn with a heart or two. There are notes which tell me that I am loved, that I'm the best mom ever and that they miss me.

It seems as though every day, I am the benefactor of these gifts of love. So I try not to take them for granted. When I receive them I ooh and ah over them and distribute hugs and kisses and thank yous. And my daughters' eyes shine with pride. They delight in the giving of those gifts and are thrilled by their reception. When they skip off to play, I quietly go to my room and slip each little offering in my drawer. I'm saving them for a time when my daughters are older and they don't feel quite as motivated to freely bestow such high praise. Someday they will be teenagers. As first graders they think I know everything, but later I think my awesomeness will fade in their eyes. (At least until their 20s when they discover I was right about everything. ) As teens, they'll be more interested in texting their friends then passing their notes and drawings to me. That's okay, because I'll already have my drawer full of treasure. And it will always remind me of my loving, creative girls.

1 comment:

  1. note from our littles are simply the best! it's so great that you have a perfect spot to save them. I try to keep all of G's, too. they melt my heart!

    ReplyDelete